Staying on Track – The Importance of the Christmas Workout
The holiday season is a time for celebration, gathering with loved ones, and overindulging in tasty treats. However, it’s important to remember the importance of staying active and maintaining a regular workout routine, even during the busy holiday season.
Benefits of Exercise Over the Holidays
Exercise has numerous benefits for both our physical and mental health. Regular physical activity can help to improve our cardiovascular health, strengthen our muscles, and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. In addition, exercise can help to boost our mood, reduce stress and anxiety, and improve our overall sense of well-being.
During the holiday season, it can be tempting to let our workout routines fall by the wayside in favour of holiday parties and gatherings. However, staying active during the holidays can actually help us to enjoy the season even more. Exercise can help to counteract the effects of holiday indulgences, such as weight gain and low energy levels. In addition, regular physical activity can help to improve our mood and reduce stress, making us better able to handle the busyness and the hustle and bustle of the holiday season.
Our Tips for Staying on Track
- Make a plan: There’s no doubt that the holidays are hectic for most people, so it’s important to plan ahead to stay on track with your fitness goals. Decide on a realistic workout schedule and make sure to stick to it. This can help prevent you from falling off track and missing workouts.
- Stay active: Exercise doesn’t have to mean hitting the gym every day. There are many ways to incorporate physical activity into your holiday routine. You can go for a walk, jog around your neighbourhood to enjoy the festive decorations, or develop a holiday-themed fitness routine with an online trainer. You can also try activities that involve the entire family, such as ice skating, sledding, or even a friendly game of touch football.
- Be mindful of your food intake: The holiday season is filled with delicious food and temptations, but it’s important to remember to eat in moderation. Instead of depriving yourself of your favourite holiday treats, try to enjoy them in moderation and balance them out with healthy foods.
- Stay hydrated: It’s easy to fall victim to dehydration during the busy holiday season, whether that is forgetting to drink water or indulging in one too many adult beverages. Staying hydrated is important for maintaining your health and fitness. Make sure to consume enough water throughout the day to keep yourself hydrated and your body functioning properly.
- Don’t beat yourself up: The holidays are a time for relaxation and enjoyment, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself to stick to your fitness goals at all costs. It’s okay to indulge in your favourite festive treats and take a break from your usual workout routine. Just make sure you balance it out by staying active and incorporating healthy foods into your diet.
In addition to the physical benefits of exercise, staying active during the holidays can also help to improve our mental health and well-being. Exercise can provide a much-needed break from the busyness of the season and can help to clear our minds and reduce stress. It can also be a great way to connect with loved ones and spend quality time together.
Connect With Bree Hunter This Holiday Season
So this holiday season, don’t let your workout routine fall by the wayside. Remember the importance of staying active and making time for physical activity, even during the busy holiday season. Your body (and mind) will thank you for it.
If you find that a structured fitness plan works best for you, do not hesitate to contact me for a free consultation. Together we can develop a realistic training plan and fine-tune your nutritional guidelines for this holiday season. I look forward to working with you.